Friday, February 25, 2022

Metrics and Analytics: lj 4

     I enjoyed the reading and how it covered how technology can and has made our lives easier but my favorite reading of the week was the blog by Neal stephenson. He has a unique perspective on social media that I agree with. With social media it is difficult to not feel consumed by checking and subconsciously comparing yourself to others. When he said " I did reach a point last year when I was checking twitter and my personal Facebook every few minutes." (Stephenson). I understood exactly what he meant and I understood the struggle he feels with this. Our lives have become so intertwined with social media and being as updated and informed as possible it is difficult to remember that there is more to life than just checking twitter and Facebook. 

    The change in technological innovations has it's pros and cons in my life. A few pros that I can name off the bat is its ability to create a unified community around so many different things. The amount of subcultures formed because of our ability to instantly communicate with someone around the world is amazing. Not only is our communication instantaneous but also our updates on issues around the world such as the invasion of Ukraine that is happening now. We are able to see and form our own opinions on it based on the news we see and information we can find within seconds. The cons that I see with social media innovation in my life are things like interdependency to social media, needing to build different online personas based on the use of the apps and learning to use new apps. I believe the innovation of technology will help with building my career because both of my degrees are based on technology. Marketing is run of analytics and understanding who your product will make the greatest impact on. My other degree business analytics and information systems is solely based on technology and creating efficient data administration systems for companies to use. Without technology both my degrees would be obsolete so it is important we keep making strides to better understand how we interact online and how our online communities can best benefit us in the real world. 

Stephenson, N. (n.d.). Neal Stephenson - Social media. Neal Stephenson - Home. Retrieved February 25, 2022, from https://www.nealstephenson.com/social-media.html

4 comments:

  1. Hey Darrien,

    I also felt it when you mentioned your addictive tendencies towards social media. I think its naïve to only look at the benefits of social media, when there are so many cons as well, like the time lost, social comparison, and of course the chemical dependencies they create in our brains. I believe we have to be very cautious of these things as more immersive technologies become part of our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darrien, I completely agree with you that we can find ourselves so entwined into social media that it runs our lives. I had to step back and take a look at how much time that I spent on Facebook and TikTok. I find that we all have some for of addictive personality and that can be some many different things. I think we become so amazed by other people's lives and comparing ourselves to them that we lose who we are ourselves if we don't step back and look.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree social media is starting to run some people's lives. Social is going to keep impacting us in a bigger way.

    ReplyDelete

LinkIn experience

In all Honesty I had a lot of experience with linkin because I have been using it for a few years. There are two big reasons I enjoy using l...