When I first started using social media it was to get my name out there for sports. I had to cater to my audience which was other athletes and coaches. I always was very cautious of what I would post, specifically nothing that could be seen as wrong in the eyes of kids or parents. When I first got to USF and started playing football they made us take a course on social media do's and don'ts which consisted of the same thing just with more rules. We began having to watch for alcohol and what other people are doing in our pictures, if you post anything that was not fitting our brand you would be asked to take it down or talk to a coach about it.
When I first started using social media I would strictly post stuff about sports and every once in a while I would post something about school. Now I post whatever I really want, because I believe social media should be an expression of who I am and not just what I do. I post lots of art and cool anime stuff now, and I have realized that people are much more interactive with my profile now than when I was just posting sports.
If I could go back I would create and account full of stuff I love instead of just sports, I would try to interact and be more open with the content I post. I also would follow more people who I like instead of athletes and others who I felt I needed to be in the know about.
It has got to be tough trying to be yourself and yet only post things that your team approves of. So much for authenticity!
ReplyDelete