We are data was the most interesting thing we have read thus far. In marketing we learn all about how to categorize and use the algorithm to put people into groups for the purpose of selling our consuming products or services. We learn about the ethics of these things now and how to better treat the data we collect to avoid leaks or invasions of privacy but I am sure that before celebrity status became so important we would not have even had a discussion on the ethics of data collection and use.
A portion in We are Data states that "our contemporary conception of privacy was born in response to these intrusions," (Lippold 1). By intrusions the author is talking about how poparazzi would invade the privacy of different celebrities in hopes to find hidden things about the celebrities. I think that the idea of privacy stems from the morals and social norms that people accept during that era. The social norm saw these celebrities of the golden era as beyond normal and perfect, with perfection comes the people who seek to disprove it. People thus began to fear that they would become victims of this spying or that they would be mistreated.
Knowing that we get turned into a bunch of ones and zeros in an algorithm does not scare me, It is the lack of understanding how to protect data that scares me. In data analytics we learned how for every protective device a company puts in place, a plethora of intrusions become possible, even when you update that stems new and more complex issues. Almost as if it is a never ending cycle trying to avoid losing more data than your competition. I think that knowing how we are put into a separate category based on who we are makes me a little less fearful of the problems that arise with fame. Like I stated earlier I am not worried about the consequences of being online and posting online more so what companies do and how they protect data.
I think in our era there are different layers of fame and expectations that come with each, for an influencer being a good person and having strict morals you stand by are important to maintain a following that respects you. But on the other hand being a musician, you can separate music from the morals you believe in some sense. These are just two examples of how fame is a spectrum.
Cheney-Lippold, J. (2019). We are data algorithms and the making of our Digital Selves. New York University Press.
Hi Darrien,
ReplyDeleteYour sentence: "Knowing that we get turned into a bunch of ones and zeros in an algorithm does not scare me." is very powerful for me because I assimilate a lot with this thought.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteHello Darrien,
DeleteYour blog is so pretty- good job! I loved that last sentence. " I think in our era there are different layers of fame and expectations that come with each, for an influencer being a good person and having strict morals you stand by are important to maintain a following that respects you." it was so prolific and powerful. There truly are different layers to fame, respect within an audience is so important.